29 January 2015

Attitude Dancing

A couple days after heart surgery, the marathon starts. By marathon, I mean the powers that be make you get up and start walking the floor at least three times a day. Sounds easy, doesn’t it? It’s not. You do it every day, three times a day, no matter how exhausted you feel. You notice a lot of things walking the same floor over and over: the nurses’ station, the art on the walls, that there are actually other patients on the floor.

On one walk, I was noticing that the glass doors to the rooms had writing on them. One would say something like “do not disturb between 10:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m.,” another would say “Please check in with nurse before visiting,” etc. So, on my last day, I went back to my room, got the dry-erase marker from the board, and put this on my door. I wanted something upbeat and happy on my room door that people would see as they walked by. (I did the words, Matt provided the illustration.) 

A little while later, the door to my room opened. It was the manager of the floor. I figured I would get in trouble writing something that wasn’t officially sanctioned. “Did you write this on your door?” She asked. “Yes,” I told her. She smiled. “Thank you for writing a positive message.”

No comments: