02 December 2006

I Don't

I am gay. I have been in a very stable, loving relationship with the same man for just over 12 years. And guess what? I don't support "marriage" for gays and lesbians.

Why? Well, as I always say, straight people have been getting married for several thousand years and they still cannot get it right -- why should we buy into that? Do I agree with equal legal rights for gay and lesbian couples? Absolutely. But I want it to be called something else.

The whole concept of marriage is abysmal to me. Marriage started, after all, as a transfer of property (the woman) from father to husband. To this day I do not understand women buying into this -- and don't get me started on the waste of money on weddings! Criticize Hallmark for creating holidays to sell cards; but the wedding industry is way worse for encouraging the lavish waste of (probably) billions of dollars.


Okay, all that said, I want to direct you to this article.

While I do not support the idea of "marriage" I am deeply and sincerely touched by those heterosexual couples who are showing solidarity to gays and lesbians. And this is not a new trend. I actually know people who have said the same thing to me.

Me, personally, I do not support discrimination of any kind -- even if I do not agree with the thing being discriminated against.

1 comment:

John Hosty said...

Dear Chrisopher,

I am so glad I stumbled across your blog and this post. I have to say that I disagree with you about marriage, but let me say that I see what you mean. I have also been in a relationship with my significant other for 12 years. We have seen many issues of discrimination along the way, as I am sure you have too.

Marriage means two things to me. First and foremost it is a celebration of my love for my life mate. I am going to gather friends and family, and we are going to have a grand occassion when we do get married. It will be a time I will remember for the rest of my life. The other side of marriage offers me the ability with one signature to cut through miles of red tape and lawyers fees to recieve instantly over 1,000 rights given to other people who get married here in Massachusetts.

The essense of this argument goes far deeper though. By allowing others the opportunity to call our marriage by another name, by giving them the right to tell us we can't use the same name, we are allowing their bigotry to continue as law. In short, I will not drink from another water fountain because I am told to, I'll do it because I want to.

The solution to our continued persecution by bigots is to take away the ability to promote hate where ever we can. Weeding discrimination out of the laws is just a first step down a longer path, but it must be done.