21 March 2009

A Tale of Two Kitties

In May 2006 we lost our wonderful cat Eames to kidney failure. In October, we adopted our new cat, Eero.

Two years later, I digitized a mass of 16mm home movies that had been transferred to video tape years previously. (The last time I saw these films must have been 30 years before.) When editing the digitized copies, I found something very curious: When I was about four years old, I had a cat of which I have no recollection whatsoever. If not for the filmed proof I would never have known this. I do not remember the cat's name or anything about it.

But, here's the odd part: this mystery cat from 1963 is nearly identical in coloring to Eero. (Click on image to see comparison.)

When we saw Eero at the shelter, I gravitated right to her. Was it because she was all playful and cute, or because I had a forgotten memory of this earlier cat? I don't have the answer, but I was really amazed at the similarity. (And, for the record, I never had a white cat before Eero, at least not that I remembered.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is amazing. Your cat is gorgeous.

Christopher said...

Thank you!