02 June 2006

Putting the "Z" in Architecture

I could not tell you how long I have been a fan of great 20th-Century design. It's been a long time that I have loved the work of Charles and Ray Eames, Mies van der Roe, Norman Bel Geddes, Eileen Gray, Russel Wright and so many others

Within that general field, I love great architectural design -- starting with the givens like Frank Lloyd Wright, Richard Neutra, Albert Frey; and, more recently, Bob Alexander.


Totally unknown to me until a couple years ago, one woman was working behind the scenes to bring architecture screaming into the 21st Century: Zaha Hadid.


I first discovered Hadid in 2004 when the New York Times did an article about the critically lauded new home for the Rosenthal Center for Contemporary Art in Cincinnati.


The new center (pictured) wowwed me beyond words. I sent the article to my significant other (Matt), a graphic designer, and he loved it too.

Imagine my surprise shortly after when word came that Hadid had been awarded the Oscar of architecture: the Pritzker Architecture Prize -- the first woman ever so honored.


Now, thirty years of her work is on display at the Guggenheim, in New York. An article about the show is
here. (Make sure to visit the multi-media slideshow accessible from the article.)

No comments: