23 June 2016

I wish I had High Blood Pressure

I never had high blood pressure. Mine has always been right around normal -- about 110/80. During the time my heart defect was being diagnosed, my blood pressure fell dangerously low -- at one point it was 75/50. After heart surgery, my blood pressure returned to basically normal.

Then, I was diagnosed with cancer -- and here’s why I wish I had high blood pressure:

After my heart surgery, I was put on a drug to help my heart beat a little slower. This drug also lowers blood pressure.

For my cancer, I was put on a diuretic to help pee out extra water. This drug also lowers blood pressure.

For my cancer, I was put on a drug to help me pee out the mutant protein caused by my cancer. This drug also lowers blood pressure.

I recently was taken off the heart drug and put on a different heart medication to help my heart beat a little more slowly. Guess what? That’s right: this drug also lowers blood pressure.

Although my blood pressure has remained at an acceptable level (about 90/70) it is right on the edge of being too low. This can cause all kinds of problems. If I had high blood pressure, I would be happy that it was being treated and kept under control. As it is now, I never know when I might pass out because it has fallen too low, again.

No comments: