19 February 2016

Cancer Update Number Three

Met with the blood-cancer doctor Thursday. It’s multiple myeloma -- the worst of the three stages, but still not as bad as amyloidosis. So, there’s that. One of the more interesting things I learned was that I might have had myeloma for years, festering away undetected under the surface. That could explain a lot about my health in the past few years.

I’ve got several months of chemo ahead of me (starting in a couple weeks) in the hopes that I will be zapped into remission. If that happens, then it’s off to the hospital for a stem-cell transplant. The doctor says there’s no cure, but the transplant could offer complete remission. Isn’t that the same thing? If everything goes well, I’m likely to have five more good years -- possibly ten, given advances in treatment. So, fasten your seatbelts, boys and girls. It’s going to be a bumpy ride.

No comments: