05 November 2009

The Case of the Incredible Shrinking Toilet Tissue

Let's talk toilet tissue.

We've been using Quilted Northern for a number of years (that's not necessarily an endorsement, FTC) and today opened up a new package. Much to my surprise, out came a roll with sheets that are narrower than they used to be (see photograph). In fact, they are exactly .25" narrower. (The cardboard roll in the picture is from our last roll of the old toilet tissue.) What's up with that?

I could take the fact that ice cream containers are no longer half gallon sized, or that certain potato chip makers (you know who you are) are now putting fewer chips in each bag, but I put my foot down when the toilet paper makers try to short sheet me. I mean, really. There are limits to product down sizing.

No comments: