11 October 2009

Did You CARE?

If you are of at least a certain age you will remember hearing commercials for CARE packages.

I heard these when I was a child, but I never understood their significance until I began indulging my interest for American history.

CARE packages (like the one pictured in this advertisement from 1948) were sent to cities in Europe starting right after the end of World War Two. It helped people whose countries were ravaged by the war. Not only did these packages bring food to hungry people, they also brought goodwill to people who remembered America's kindness throughout their lives.


Now, of course, the phrase "care package" has become generic and refers to any package sent from one person to another with helpful contents. Back then, it meant the difference between life and death for many people.

You can read more about the CARE organization
here.

No comments: