13 April 2009

A Susan Boyle Moment

In the coming days, months and years people will be using the phrase "that was a Susan Boyle moment" to describe something totally unexpected and wonderful (hopefully replacing the most overused phrase in the history of phraseology "it was a perfect storm").

I realize I am, like, the 9,000,000th person to write about this woman's performance on the British television series "Britain's Got Talent" but I just had to put in my two cents about something that I discovered decades ago but so many people have yet to understand: talent has nothing to do with looks, it has nothing to do with being young. Not only did this woman's performance shock a lot of (young) people in the audience, I hope it taught them something very, very important.

You can read what happened here. The article has a link to the performance. Stick around and hear what the judges had to say. That was even more impressive.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

While she's impressive, I have to think the judges' shock-and-awe reaction is a bit overplayed, given that this is the same bunch who found Paul Potts a couple of years ago. It's not exactly a new experience for them to find someone who looks unprepossessing but can really sing, and I had a distinct feeling of déjà vu watching this. Be interesting to see whether she goes on to win the final competition, as Potts did.

Christopher said...

I don't disagree with you at all. I also thought the editing a little much; but, not being a regular watcher of "BGT" I didn't know if over-editing was endemic to the show, or just how they put together that clip of her. Either way, it was great TV.

(And, quite frankly, I don't think it matters whether she wins the actual competition. With her performance -- and the audience reaction -- she's already a winner in so many ways.)