01 January 2008

Marion Who?

Long ago, when I was in my late teens and had just begun my professional writing career, someone in conversation asked me what was my goal in life. At that point, I was still entertaining thoughts of a career in entertainment (theater), still wanted to explore a life in science (genetics) and, of course, was just embarking on a life of writing (which, in the end, stuck).

My answer: "My goal is to learn everything about everything."

"Knowledge is never wrong." That's my motto. I want to learn about every person, every thing, every aspect of everything that ever was or currently is. A tall order, indeed, but one which I enjoy attempting.

The most recent bit of information I have learned comes courtesy of today's New York Times, and a fascinating article on Marion Mahoney, a woman of whom I knew nothing, even though I had known of her work for quite some time.

Born in Chicago in 1871, Mahoney gained notoriety with her illustrations of the designs of Frank Lloyd Wright. She stayed with Wright for many years designing interior components of his homes. Further fame started in 1914, when she moved to Australia to help design the city of Canberra.

While she is justly famous for her works around the world, it is probably correct to say she is best known for her illustrations (pictured), the style of which set a tone for late-19th century and early-20th century architecture renderings.

The New York Times article will be found here.

An electronic copy of her heretofore-unavailable memoir can be read here.

More about her work designing Canberra will be found here.

No comments: