30 November 2007

My Colonoscopy and Me

Well, the worst is over (I think) regarding the colonoscopy recommended by my doctor (see entry of 14 November 2007).

All together, the process was pretty uneventful. It started Thursday when I was allowed only clear liquids for nutrition the entire day. That afternoon started the phospho soda laxative which, surprisingly enough, works very thoroughly. After a night of crapping out mostly liquid, I went to bed.

After getting up at the unimaginable hour of 5:30 this a.m. Matt and I headed to the clinic only a couple miles away for the actual procedure. We were the first people at the office. After some paperwork, I went back for an interview with an LPN, then changed into a dreadful medical gown. They let Matt come sit with me until the nurse came by.

The nurse took me into the room where the procedure would take place, hooked me up to one of those bleepy monitors, then started the anesthesia. I told her to make sure to go easy as I react super strongly to medication, and a little anesthesia goes a very long way with me.

The procedure started, and I began drifting in and out of sleep. I could feel occasional discomfort as the colonoscope wended its way through the five feet length of my colon. The next thing I knew I was being wheeled out of there into the recovery room where Matt rejoined me. The actual procedure had taken a little more than 30 minutes.

Then the step I most dreaded: coming out of the anesthesia.

I suddenly got really hot and pale. The nurse offered me cold towels which I gladly accepted. After a little rest, I started what must be the most hellish thing on earth: throwing up -- and dry heaves at that.

After about another half hour, I started feeling well enough to get up and move around a little. That's always a good sign. I changed and was on my way to the local donut shop for a well-deserved cinnamon roll.

So, after all that, what did they find? Well, one polyp (see photo of my actual polyp). The polyp is the little bump just slightly off center. They excised it and sent it off to pathology. I need to wait about a week to find out if it is cancer, and then whether it is benign or something to be concerned about. All in all, I think one polyp is pretty good news.

Am I glad I did it? Absolutely. Would I do it again? Well, let's hope I don't have to -- for a while anyway.

No comments: