16 February 2007

New Citizenship Test

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service is trying out a new citizenship test -- this one, with questions that are supposed to be more meaningful and thoughtful.

The candidates are given all 142 questions and answers, and must be able to answer a small random amount (I think six) when they take the test.

While I don't think being able to memorize 142 answers makes someone a good citizen, I thought it would be interesting to see whether I could pass the test. I tried to answer all 142 -- and was surprised that I missed 19. I thought I would do better than that; but some of the questions are a little tricky. (Of course, had I been given the answers and studied, I am sure I would have aced it; and why I put "1774" for the date of the signing of the Declaration is certainly a mystery for the ages.)

Do you think you could pass the test? Try it yourself.

The questions are
here. The answers will be found here.

No comments: