17 October 2006

Remember When

I don't remember when I first wanted to be a journalist. It would have to be when I was pretty young, because I remember writing little "news" stories when I was in fourth or fifth grade. I also don't know what sparked that desire. The work of Edward R. Murrow and his CBS crew was already long in the past, although I knew of it and worshipped at the Murrow shrine.

One thing I do know is that a certain person gave a little push to my love of journalism. His name is Christopher Glenn, and he just died.

He was one of the later CBS gods, starting there in the 1970s. I didn't know much about him then; but I certainly knew his work.

If you are old enough, and watched enough Saturday morning television in the 1970s, you might remember "In The News," the short news breaks between shows. These wonderful capsules of current events are the sole reason I got up early on Saturday, trundled down the hall to the living room, and turned on channel 10 (our CBS affiliate). I pretty much ignored the cartoons, but was right there when "In The News" started.

It's sad when one of our heroes dies. I just hope he knew how many young kids were influenced by his work.

More about Glenn's career will be found here.

No comments: