22 June 2019

Anesthesia and Me

I have always been ultra sensitive to medications of all kinds. This includes anesthesia. There are stories I could tell you… I had a kidney biopsy last Tuesday and I am still reeling from the effects of the anesthesia. Four days later I still feel drugged and drunk, like a perpetual hangover that refuses to go away. There has been vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, etc – all of the things my body is doing to try to rid itself of the poison.

I called and talked to nurses at the hospital about this and they say it cannot be the anesthesia, that the body rids itself of the chemicals in a couple of hours. In my case they forget that I have diminished kidney function that would slow down that process. In research I’ve done, I discovered that older people have a harder time getting rid of the chemicals.

One of the drugs they gave me this time is fentanyl – an opioid that people abuse on purpose. All I can say is that if these are the effects they desire, then they are idiots.

No comments: