05 April 2016

Like Honey for Bees

If you know me, you know I’m a nice guy. Being nice is more efficient than being a shit.

This morning, I found out that my health insurance had been terminated through what turned out to be a mistake by the insurance company. I didn’t know that when I called to ask them why.

Although I would have been totally justified to yell, scream, berate and demand, instead I was completely calm and nice: “Did I make a mistake to cause this?” “Can you help me figure out what happened?” I was pleasant and I was appreciative (after all, the customer service person didn’t cause it and she was trying to help me).

You know how you feel when someone treats you like shit. It feels pretty horrible, doesn’t it? You also know how it feels when someone genuinely appreciates your efforts. I would rather someone try to help me because I was being nice and they wanted to please me, than because I was threatening and terrorizing the poor person who was terrified of making me even madder.

And you know what? Being nice works about 99 percent of the time. The glitch has been corrected and my health insurance is back in force.

No comments: