15 April 2012

RIP RMS Titanic (1911-1912)

The Titanic sank 100 years ago today. Believe it or not, I actually have a personal Titanic-related story:

Sometime in December 1975 I was somehow invited to attend a special opening-day screening of the new film "The Hindenburg." The "special" thing about this screening is that it was to be attended by a survivor of the Hindenburg. Being the huge fan that I am of America between the wars, I was all over this special screening.

So, we get into the cinema. The special screening comes complete with special commemorative newspapers reprinting many articles about the Hindenburg.

We are all looking around to see if we can spot the survivor of the Hindenburg.

Some guy walks up to the front of the cinema, with a microphone, and introduces a woman who survived (get this) the sinking of the Titanic! I remember the groans from the audience (myself included). "What? The Titanic? Who cares?" (I was, like, 15 at the time -- cut me some slack.) So, we sat through the movie, and then dutifully queued waiting for an autograph from the Titanic survivor (disappointed maybe, but an autograph is an autograph). I got her autograph.

So I had a reproduction newspaper announcing the crash of the Hindenburg signed by some woman (whose name I do not recall) who survived the sinking of the Titanic.

Years later, I have no idea whatever happened to that newspaper with the autograph. It would probably be worth something today; but nope, no idea where it is. Oh, well.

No comments: