06 September 2009

Twenty Things

Woman'sDay recently published a list of 20 things doctors suggest you do to improve your own health.

Although I usually eschew lists like this (everyone is different, so what works for me may not work for you), this one generally makes sense. I was surprised to discover that I already do 18 of the 20 suggestions. I don't worry about hormone therapy (this list is from a publication that caters to women), and I am not a big proponent of sun screen.*

You can read the entire list here.

*I am not a proponent of sunscreen -- even though I live in Arizona (which has the second greatest number of skin cancer cases per capita behind the entire continent of Australia) and I am a poster boy for skin cancer (blonde hair, blue eyes, fair skin). Although there can be negative effects from sun exposure, I think it is more useful to rely on the benefits derived from the naturally occurring cancer-fighter vitamin D (which you get when you are exposed to sunlight) and slight tanning (from melanin in your skin) which protects your skin.

Additionally, studies over the past 10 years have shown an increase in skin cancer in children. Although scientists don't know exactly why, they point to use of sunscreen as a probable cause. Also, a common ingredient in sunscreen has been demonstrated to harm coral reefs -- especially those close to the beaches where so many people use sunscreen. In this, as all things, I try as much as possible to use the natural remedy rather than something artificial.

No comments: