14 August 2009

Change is Good

I love good design -- I might not have the talent needed to actually design something, but I certainly can appreciate it when it is good.

Fortune magazine recently had an article showcasing the re-design of logos for 12 well-known companies. I find this kind of thing totally fascinating not just because of the reasons for the changes, but also because some of the designs are just so damned clever.

The only problem I have with the Fortune piece is that it is too short. Had they more room, it would have been nice to show the progress of logos from the oldest to the newest. For example, on the section for International Business Machines, it would have been great to include the insanely clever Paul Rand resign done in 1970 (pictured).

You can review the showcase of logo designs here.

You can see more superb Paul Rand designs here.

No comments: