18 February 2008

Apropos To Nothing

In the big scheme of things, I suppose this no longer matters, but I want to apologize to women of the world for something I didn't even do:

I listen to loads of vintage radio programs. In many of them, when one man is talking to another one about a date he had, the second man says "Was she a blonde, brunette, or redhead?"

When I first heard this kind of line, when I was a kid, I was struck by how odd it seemed. What difference did her hair color make? Of course, later I learned the shallowness of man -- or men -- back then.

We have come a very long way. Now, I hope, the second man would ask about something more intelligent like the kind of job she had, or whether she had a sense of humor -- hopefully something other than the relative size of her, shall we say, assets.

Personally, I hope we all have moved beyond judging people by their looks. I mean, scoping out a cute guy is fine and all, but he has to have a lot more than good looks and, shall we say, sizeable assets, to earn from me anything other than just a passing glance.


No comments: