20 December 2007

Dear Jonathan Tunick:

I don't know if you read blogs. Do you? Well, let's just work under the assumption that you read blogs and that -- maybe -- you read mine.

Anyway, I just want to put into writing how fantastic you are. Every time I hear a great piece of Broadway score, and look up the name of the arranger, it says "Jonathan Tunick."

No, seriously.

I have loved your work since I first heard the score of "Company" many years ago. You know that one section of "Another Hundred People" -- the one that runs from 1:36 through to 2:14 -- I could listen to that one section a million times and never tire of marveling at how brilliant is your work on it. How can a human being create something that fantastic? I mean, is there any way to improve Sondheim? Yes, have you arrange his music.

Of course, it seems a little silly to write a blog entry to someone with so much talent, but I thought I would do it just so I could put into writing the tremendous respect I have for you. So, here it is:

You are the most talented human being on the planet, and I am honored and humbled to be able to experience such greatness.

If you are not Jonathan Tunick, and you are reading this, and want to learn more about Jonathan Tunick, you can see his impressive list of Broadway credits here, and read more about this great talent here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely! Having played French Horn in many of Tunick's works, he is a total MASTER of the orchestra in a way that only RRB can second is his moldy-oldie way.

I am waiting to see/hear what he did in re-working Sweeney for Burton's film!

Christopher said...

Dear Anonymous:

Wow! You actually work(ed) with Tunick?! That's so great. I would love to hear more about your experiences with him. Also, who is RRB? Feel free to communicate with me directly at cgm95@yahoo.com