31 October 2007

Truth in Flying

I am not afraid to fly. I get a little airsick now and again, but I don't really mind flying at all. The only thing I kinda don't like about flying is the idea of sudden deceleration -- like, into the side of a mountain, or something.

The first week of October, we flew to Key West, Florida for our annual holiday. That's 2,525.7 miles door to door. The trip took about ten hours -- seven of those actually in the air.

It was fine. I felt safe (well, except for having to endure a Harry Potter in-flight movie). However, according to a report soon to be released by NASA (under pressure, it appears) we were not nearly as safe as I would have thought.

NASA spent more than a million dollars to interview 24,000 pilots about the true levels of safety issues with airplanes. NASA originally said it would not release the results because it "feared it would upset air travelers and hurt airline profits." Because, of course, the most important things involved here are airline profits and the sensitivity of flyers.

I don't know about you, but if there is a problem with airline safety, I would much rather know about it than fly ignorant of the possibilities. And if there IS a problem with air safety, I would certainly hope someone would address it and make it safer.

No comments: