13 April 2007

Dog's Best Friend

About an hour ago, I got on the busy freeway on the way home from work. I saw in front of me these weird patches of traffic that would stop and go, then stop, then go.

As I made my way along, I caught glimpse of a dog running along the edge of the freeway -- the dangerous HOV edge, not the safe(r) edge where all the exits are. This was why the cars were stopping: the dog (looked like a small german shepherd) kept weaving in and out of lanes.

I saw cars trying to help rescue the dog: first one car then another would pull in front of the dog trying to pin it in, but the dog kept slipping by, continuing down the freeway.

It slipped by one car and I spotted an opening. I moved over trying to box in the dog, but it slipped by. A couple other cars and I spent the next few minutes sort of leap-frogging around each other pulling in front, trying to catch the dog, only to have it slip through.

One time, when I was in front, I boxed in the dog, hopped out of my car and tried to coax the dog toward me. Right when I was going to get it, a large truck rumbled by, honked its horn, and scared the dog away.

Finally, after a few more tries, another car boxed it in front (with me boxing in the dog in back). The driver got out and grabbed the dog by the nape of the neck (it had no collar). I opened his rear car door and we pushed the scared dog into the back seat.

I thanked him for catching the dog.

He drove off.

I got back in my car and went home.


No comments: