07 June 2010

Joplin

If you know me at all, you know that I think very little good popular music has been created since the war (that would be WW2). It's all just so much noise to me -- especially the work of Janis Joplin. To my ears, it's all shrieking and screaming. Don't really get the appeal of it at all.

However, I will say that today I have a lot more respect for Joplin and her very short career after hearing a fascinating story about her on NPR.

Although I will never like her music, I totally appreciate how she felt like an outsider and strove to make something of herself without regard to what other people said. Had she not succumbed to the lure of drugs, she might have gone on to make music I actually would have liked. We will never know.

You can hear the story here.

No comments: