08 August 2009

Sounds of the 'Sixties

I was totally the wrong person to be growing up in the 1960s. I could not stand the crappy hippie music (The Beatles? Blech!) I was not into drugs (I was just a kid) and the fashions were atrocious! But I remained culturally linked in by television. I wrote about my favorite shows in a previous entry. This time, I want to write about the television theme music that was so hot at the time.

John Williams worked on many shows, but he did some of his best work on "Land of the Giants" (1968-1970). The show was kinda campy (even then) but Gary Conway was easy on the eyes, and the music was top rate. In fact, Williams wrote two themes: one for the first season and one for the second. I have never heard a good explanation as to why he wrote two. Although the second season theme was excellent, the first season theme was considerably better. Take a listen:

"Land of the Giants" season one theme.

"Land of the Giants" season two theme.

Across the pond in England, audiences were enjoying a nifty little show called "Department S" (1969-1970). I discovered this show only a couple years ago via the great theme music written (I think) by Edwin Astley (I cannot find a good source on this). I watched an episode or two of this series and it is not very interesting, but the theme is. Take a listen:

"Department S" theme.

As a basis for comparison, here is the theme music for arguably the best television show ever: "Mission: Impossible" (1966-1973) written by Lalo Schifrin. Great music for a great show. Take a listen:

"Mission: Impossible" theme.

I find it notable that these four themes are essentially from the same time, but so different: "Department S" is classy and swinging, but "Land of the Giants" and "Mission: Impossible" are pounding, eager, exciting and very American -- yet, oddly, all are first-rate examples of the craft.

No comments: