18 August 2007

Accent on Accents

British programming and I have been fast friends since high school. I cut my teeth on "Monty Python's Flying Circus" and it did not stop there. I love British humor because it is wry, witty, subtle and smart -- rather like a description I would write of myself.

Here's an example of why I love the Brits so much: as a disclaimer to their new show "Hotel Babylon," they run this:

"The following program contains accents that you would have heard a lot more of if you hadn’t thrown our tea into Boston Harbor."

Followed by:

"To find out what on earth anyone is talking about, please turn on closed captioning."

Don't you just love that?

P.S. I understood them quite fine, thank you, without the assistance of closed captioning. I guess I dig foreign accents, and watching so many foreign television shows and movies probably helps.

No comments: